TAKING CARE OF YOUR FINE JEWELLERY
Jewellery from The Village Goldsmith can last a lifetime if you look after it well. Although our jewellery is made from strong precious metals, it can still be affected by elements you come into contact with on a day-to-day basis. Here are some tips for jewellery care and cleaning to help protect your investment:
If in doubt, take it off
- Take your ring off if you think it might have a chance of getting damaged.
- Activities like using weights at the gym or using garden tools can damage your ring.
- Remove your ring or wear gloves when doing dirty jobs such as gardening or using abrasive cleaners or other chemicals.
- Try to remember to take off your ring when using hand soaps, lotions or hair products which can leave your jewellery looking dulled and tarnished. Did you know that build up on the back of a diamond will stop the light being reflected?
Cleaning fine jewellery
- Fill a small bowl with warm water and add a little dishwashing liquid then remove your ring and place it in the bowl.
- Use a soft brush to remove the dirt, taking care not to use a harsh brush as it may scratch the platinum or gold.
- Once you’ve removed all the dirt, rinse it again in the bowl and then dry and clean it with a lint-free cloth.